Bulletstorm - PC - Game Review

Bulletstorm is a very violent, blood and guts FPS.

When it was released, there was an outcry of excessive violence and blood. I have to agree that it is likely to cause excessive violence on both teenagers and adults - it has Games for Windows Live.

Games for Windows Live (GfW) is completely pointless - it is a single player game, why does it need to connect online? It is pure DRM, and implemented rather poorly - the game is already on Steam, and I can't remember the last time Steam (or Impulse's) DRM bothered me for any reason at all.

GfW, however, managed to request my login (5 times already, despite clicking on the checkbox to log me on automatically), and then take a long time AND reset the computer to update. At least on the 3rd time it managed to remember my login and password. And there is still an enormous delay when starting the game to load the profile.

Returning to the review of the actual game, Bulletstorm is wonderfully violent. Plenty of kicking, explosion, shooting and throwing enemies around with a conceptually silly energy (I presume) leash.

The leash is also used to connect to special pods that allow you to upgrade your weapons, using points that are gained when you kill enemies in particular ways - a very fun addition.

The graphics are great, the story is surprisingly good, and the action is non-stop. My only real complaints so far are GfW and being unable to jump - which feels unnatural and forced, specially when you have to leave a surface through a ramp when it is like a meter tall.

Very much recommended, but GfW may stop your fun completely.

PS: On the 6th time, GfW started logging automatically.
PS2: Loading times for levels is pretty fast! Whenever you have to return to a checkpoint it takes about the same time, however.

Update: I just finished the game now. Pretty awesome. Steam is showing me 9 hours play time, but before a display driver update, I got regular lockups with the game, so it is probably short by a few hours.

I'm quite disappointed that there won't be a sequel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review