Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

I have just installed VMWare Workstation 8 over my old VMWare Workstation 6.5 on Windows 7.

On my first run I already got the error message:

Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid.

You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Obviously, I was concerned, but there is a simple way to solve it - just right-click the VMWare Workstation icon and use Run as Administrator.

This is a bit annoying, but at least it is easy to solve.

Update: I forgot to mention it, but as Dave said on the comments, you can right-click on the program shortcut, choose Properties, Compatibility tab and check Run as Administrator so that it will always run properly. Thanks, Dave!

Comments

DAVE KIRK said…
thank you it dose work! you can right click >proprieties> compatibility tab> at the bottom check mark run as admin and apply so you don have to do that every-time
Stellar Drift said…
That's not solving it if you need to keep it running like that - that's a workaround for incompetent programming.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brizer said…
Thank you for this. it worked ok. I never thought of running as admin. Thanks again
Rula said…
Really Thank you, you cant believe the frustration I went through until I hit your post.
Unknown said…
Great tips, it really worked.
Unknown said…
thank you so much , really worked. before i saw your comment i was truely lack of belief.

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review