Intergalactic Medicine Show 17 and 18

I've been a fan of Orson Scott Card for decades. So when I heard he was starting Intergalactic Medicine Show(IGMS), his own online magazine - and with Ender stories too - I immediately went to check it out. That was several years ago - 2005.

Unfortunately, it was available only as a web page, which meant the either I had to read it on the computer - which is relatively uncomfortable - or convert the stories one by one to my e-reader of the time, which was a Palm Tungsten E.

It was really bad compared to my standard at the time - Analog and Asimov, to which I subscribed at FictionWise.com and were a simple download per issue.

So I stopped reading after a while. But recently I received a message that they were available for the Kindle (and since it is a Mobipocket file, for many other reader and most smartphones), so I decided to get a subscription, which I feel is very cheap at US$15 per year including all past issues.

As several other systems do, you can get the issues on the Kindle by going to IGMS's site and ask them to e-mail to the special Amazon address. If you have a Wi-Fi enabled Kindle, it is free, and much more convenient than bringing it to your computer, connecting, downloading the file and copying to it.

For whatever reason they didn't automate it like The Pragmatic Library do, but it is a minor difference.

Issue 17 was the first they were offering at the time I subscribed, so it was the first one I read on the Kindle.

It was pretty good, with a mixture of fantasy and harder SF. And unlike Asimov and Analog, you still get the art in the Kindle edition. It is black and white, of course, but it still was a nice addition.

I really liked Ten Winks to Forever - by Bud Sparhawk - which covers the classic problem of what happens if you travel around at light speed for too long (which reminds me of the end of Forever War).

Sister Jasmine Brings the Pain - by Von Carr - which covers a soldier nun, a robot dog and a robot girl detective on a wasteland with zombies, vampires and ninjas was hilarious.

Eye for Eye (Part 1 of 3) - by Orson Scott Card was already published but I hadn't read it yet. It is an interesting story about what happens if a child had the power to kill since birth.

Issue 18 was pretty good too, specially Trinity County, CA - by Peter S. Beagle - which covers a dragon capture squad.

Overall, I very much recommend IGMS to fans of fantasy, SF or Orson Scott Card, particularly now that it is much more readable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review