FTP Voyager

A couple of days ago, I've started using the excelent FTP Voyager , instead of my *very* old copy of WS_FTP Pro. While it did take a bit to get used to the new interface, it was well worth it.

Some of the neat things:
- SSH: I feel so much safer
- Compression: now my logs are downloaded 90% faster. It's not so much for less repetitive file types, but still a lot on most text based files.
- Synchronizing: instead of picking the files that changed manually, just tell it to synchronize.
- Scheduling: it's very easy to schedule downloads and synchronization (both sides, server to client or client to server). I've added an item that grabs new log files, for example. And if you don't want to schedule, you can run it manually when you want to.
- Multiple downloads/uploads: it automatically generates multiple connections when downloading several files. That saves a lot of time, specially if you are sending several small pages.

Support is pretty good too - I had a question about the interface and got an answer within a couple of hours.

BTW, I recommend Simple style, tree views off (I'd rather have a typable combobox, which takes very little space, instead of those space hogs, but I guess you can't have everything...), on Options, User Interface, Look and feel. You can turn the Trees on with Alt+I.

I also think that the most intuitive double-click action is transferring the file. Took me a bit to find the option, it's on Option, User Interface, List, Activate Action - set it to Transfer.

I was unable to transfer my old WS_FTP site list, though. The import didn't work (just created the categories, empty). Ethereal was neat for getting the old passwords I couldn't remember. :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review