E-books this week

Hi,

This week (so far <g>) I've read a couple of e-books, both good.

The first was Candle, by John Barnes. Very nice - mostly it's about a world taken by "memes" - in this context AIs that were designed to spread through "skull jacks" (brain-computer interface) and take some amount of control, usually total. (Originally "meme" is an idea considered as an replicating entity that uses people to spread)

The Earth was taken by a particular meme completely, with just a few remaining people not taken by it. These are called cowboys. The story goes by the focus of a cowboy hunter. I felt the end was quite surprising...

One slightly off-putting part is the dates - the book was released on 2000 and yet has a major world war in 2002. Duh!

Other excellent book by Barnes is Mother of Storms. I can't recommend this one highly enough!

The other book was Spider Man 2. I just bought it because it had a 100% rebate on Fictionwise (which is where I get almost all my e-books) - otherwise I probably wouldn't. It was quite entertaining, however, and I finished it within the day.

The book was by Peter David, which has quite a few excellent books. The first to come to mind are Babylon 5 related, The Centauri trilogy, which was pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review