Gridlinked - Neal Asher - Book Review

I've just finished Gridlinked by Neal Asher. I've recently reviewed a short story collection, and I liked it enough that as I soon as I knew his novels were on Kindle, I had to try one.

I certainly wasn't disappointed. The title refers to the ECS super-agent Ian Cormac, who has been Gridlinked - had his mind connected to the AIs - for much longer that is considered safe, and is losing touch with his humanity.

Given that people get cravings if they get away from a computer for too long (not me. of course, that might be because I'm rarely away from one for very long...), I'd say he takes it pretty well.

Given the title, I thought this would be a much bigger aspect of the story. Still the rest is well worth it, and covers the investigation of a major, unprecedented terrorist attack.

The pace was nice, and the ending was mostly satisfactory, albeit a little predictable and more telegraphed in advance than necessary (although I imagine I'd complain that it was cheap way to get a surprise with some previous warning). I expected a little more explanation of the aliens relationship (I'm avoiding a spoiler here) in the end, too.

Very much recommended.

Comments

Neal Asher said…
You're just in the shallows - four more books of the series to go

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review