Signal Ops - PC Game Review

Signal Ops probably doesn't fit any genre properly. I guess it is mostly a stealth squad-based tactical game, where you control several agents from a 60s style control room.

For various reasons, the game annoyed me constantly. First, I had to find the config and switch to DirectX (and BTW, that is a very bad looking screen), or it'd just do an annoying electrical sound from the hidden menu screen (not sure who thought this would be cute - it is pretty awful).

So OK, now it runs. There is a semi-tutorial on the controls to start with. They are half for game controllers, half for keyboard+mouse, so I start using the game controller (the controls feel quite a bit silly, too, such as the combos to turn clipboard pages or open a door. Could be common for all I know). I don't think you can see or switch controls from the menu.

When I get to the control room, the instructions are for the keyboard, and that is the only way it seems to work. So now I switch again.

There is some clever logic with controlling your squad, in FPS style. So you have to keep them on range of the radio (green markings on the floor), but you can move the radio to other power sources (it has a battery).

Graphics are OK, except that the movement seems wrong somehow, and it gets on my nerves (just like the electric sounds). So at this point I really don't like the game. I might stomach trying more of it later. Some of the ideas seem clever, though.

I'll update this if I play more (yes, it was this bad).

Comments

Unknown said…
This is a pretty shortsighted review.

Not to knock you entirely but I have played this game and I think it might be above your difficulty level.

Stick to CoD on cinematic rails if you are seeking something stock.
STG said…
Bad control tutorials, annoying control mechanics and grating sound effects aren't a part of the game's difficulty.

There wasn't even time for the actual game difficulty to be a factor.

What I will agree is that Signal Ops is above my patience level.
JordanPeter said…
I have been playing the game and have noticed it's really buggy. Can't get past the tutorial mission because the NPC's are bugged and can't move. Noticed this at all?
STG said…
Jordan - not really, I didn't finish the tutorial.

At this point I plan to wait at least for the next update to try the game again...

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review