Far Cry 3 - PC Game Review

I'm was going to keep this brief (but got carried away), because Far Cry 3 is pretty old. But I only got around to trying it a few weeks ago, way after the Steam sale where I got it.

I really liked the original Far Cry. The engine was great, but the nicest thing is that the game didn't care how you accomplished objectives. You could come up with plenty of ways to do things, many of them nowhere near being imagined by the designers.

Far Cry 2 had the annoying malaria part (which is jokingly mentioned in 3), and for these and other reasons I never played more than the start.

I am mostly enjoying Far Cry 3. I like the whole open world style, and the "destroy enemy bases" mechanism. Speaking about those, I really like how the whole stealth thing goes, but that you are still not forced to be stealthy (it is just much easier). Also, the bases have very nice varieties, so every approach can be a little different. Some are a bit too easy, though.

Graphics are pretty good. Of course, with a recent computer now it is pretty easy to put all the details on high.

I also like how many stealth options for guns exist. You can use arrows (including explosive and fire arrows!) and silenced pistols. This is common enough, but silenced assault rifles and sniper rifles not so much, and they are fun in FC3.

What I don't like is the whole console feel on the game. No quick saves (which would come in handy in stealthier approaches), many of the missions feel quite forced and heavily scripted, and there are plenty of annoying bits on rails where you just mash a button repeatedly for the action for continue - I'd rather just have a regular cutscene.

Speaking of cutscenes, I really, really wish they were skippable. Even worse, some of the checkpoints go back to the start of a mission if you exit the game. I think I heard the "Do you know the definition of insanity" speech from Vaas 5 or 6 times. BTW, killing Vass ended up being very unsatisfying.

Overall, pretty good so far. But it feels like it should be way better...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Fixed] Just Cause 3 Mouse offset

Solved - You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys" - VMWare Workstation 8

Elon Musk: How the Billionaire CEO of SpaceX and Tesla is shaping our Future - Book Review